Thursday, March 2, 2017

Fighting the Workout Funk

Yes, I've been there. Not wanting to work out. Yes, I'm a certified Pilates teacher, but I've definitely gone through spells where I've had to fight off the I don't want to work out funk.
About six weeks out from having my second baby, I was super motivated to get back to Pilates and tighten my core back up. But I quickly lost that focus and motivation as the busyness of having two littles set in. I'd come up with really good, creative excuses why I didn't have the time to workout... I need to catch up on the laundry and the dishes....or I just want to lay on the couch and catch up on my shows while everyone naps...

I was looking through some old pictures from the newborn days recently and found this picture. And this is how I feel about working out sometimes... All jokes aside, I should probably note that I removed the hat right after sister did this haha...

And I could go on, but let's jump to what worked for me to get back on track.

Set a focus and a goal.
I think your goal can be as specific or as detail-oriented as you want it to be. Maybe you have just one goal or more than one focus. Whatever works for you. Personally, I like to make my goals attainable at first- then bump it up a notch. That way, I have a starting place that makes me not overwhelmed and I can feel accomplished, which helps me stay motivated.

For example, my initial postpartum goal was to get in five workouts each week. I didn't focus on the length or what kind of workout- whether it be Pilates Mat, Reformer or simply walking. Then, once I got pretty settled with this goal, I modified my goal to make it fit my progress.

So currently, this is what my fitness goals look like:
1.  Work in 6 to 7 (minimum 1 hour workouts) a week.
2.  Out of my weekly workouts, I like to do 2 to 3 Yoga Classes, 2 to 3 Advanced Reformer Workouts, and at least one Pilates Mat. I also like to visit the Pilates Tower and Wunda Chair at least once during the week. I'm flexible with my 7th workout of the week (typically Saturdays.)
3. I'm currently focusing on headstands, flexibility in the quadriceps and psoas muscles, and arm strength. So no matter what I do for my workout, I'll spend a few minutes practicing headstands, stretching, or using light weights pretty much daily.

Go to a Group Class. 
If just don't feel like you have the motivation to work out, I'd definitely suggest trying out any kind of group class. There's nothing like being in a room full of people to get you motivated. It's also nice to be told what to do instead of planning out your own workout. Group classes also give you new ideas for you to do at home. Signing up for a group class also gets a workout penciled into your busy schedule and makes you committed to exercising.

I had a client in one of my Pilates Reformer classes tell me me recently that he loves group classes for the camaraderie...even if it is a class with all women...

Besides enjoying Yoga and wanting to learn more, these are all the reasons why I go to Yoga classes each week as well.

Try setting some goals and going to a few group classes...and I'm sure you'll be well on your way to getting over your workout funk. 






No comments:

Post a Comment